Nobody likes to find out they have mold, but the good news is there are a number of ways to kill it. Some ways may work, some may not, but they are still worth trying. With that said, below are some of the best ways to kill mold.
- Removing the source of moisture is one way that may get rid of mold or mildew. Remember, moisture is how mold and mildew can thrive, so removing the source of moisture is one of the best ways to kill mold. What you want to do is have a look around in the area the mold is located and then look for the source of moisture. Once you have determined where the source is, remove it by repairing the leak and make sure no moisture is allowed to build-up in that area by placing a dehumidifier there, and this should keep mold from coming back.
- Using hydrogen peroxide is good at killing mold, but only if you are dealing with a mild mold issue. Nonetheless, this method is worth trying and what you want to do is put some peroxide in a spray bottle and then spray the surface where the mold is present, and make sure you let the peroxide absorb into the surface for about 10 minutes. Afterwards you can scrub off the mold and the stains, and then you can wipe the surface down, but be careful when using peroxide on some surfaces because it does act like bleach.
- White vinegar and tea tree oil can be mixed together, as well as with a little bit of water, and this may help you kill mold. Make sure the vinegar you use is distilled. Mix them together in a spray bottle and then spray the affected area and then scrub it after about 20-30 minutes and this should get rid of the mold. If you have grapefruit seed extract laying around, then you can mix that with some water, as well as a little bit of vinegar. Grapefruit seed extract is great because it is not scented and it is completely natural. Regardless if you use vinegar, grapefruit seed extract or tea tree oil, make sure you let it sit for a good 20-30 minutes before scrubbing it off because this will increase the chances of being able to kill the mold.
- Bleach is another way you can try to kill mold, but you need to be wary because it is toxic and it may ruin certain types of surfaces. Bleach is also potent and it is known for the dangerous fumes it emits, so you need to be extremely careful when using it. Also, it’s a good idea to mix the bleach with water and then applying it to the affected area.
- Borax may also help kill off mold, and what you want to do is put about a cup of borax into one gallon of water, which should be hot. Wait for the borax to dissolve and then put the solution into a spray bottle. After you spray the moldy area, you’ll want to wait a few minutes, maybe 5-10 and then use a scrubbing brush. If this doesn’t work the first time, then do it once more and see if this makes a difference.
Those methods are all good ways to kill mold. If you find out you have mold and you want to get rid of it, then give one of the above methods a try. If they work, then hopefully you won’t have to deal with another mold problem for a long time to come. For more mold killing methods check out these videos on YouTube about mold.